Ships operation- Emergency procedure for gyro compass and bridge telegraph failure
The following actions are suggested as a minimum in event of failure of vital bridge equipment gyro compass.
1) Inform to the Master
2) If the 2nd gyrocompass is available, activate it. Otherwise, following measures to be taken.
3) Change over to Hand steering for steering with magnetic compass with applying Compass deviation value with Deviation curve and observation, or to TMC (Transmitting Magnetic Compass) Autopilot, where fitted.
4) Consider effect on other navigational and communication equipment which have a gyro feed especially Radar/ ARPA and ECDIS and enter headings manually.
5) Plot positions more frequently to confirm course made good and accordingly allow correction to course steered. In coastal waters, make good use of parallel indexing technique to keep vessel on charted track.
Also secure True course run (Course made good) by plotting GPS position and verify with Heading of Magnetic compass.
6) Reduce speed if considered necessary.
7) In the meantime, to check Instruction Manual for troubleshooting guide.
8) Inform to the office, to enable to arrange repair at next port
9) Caution pilots at next port, about Gyro unavailability.
Bridge Control Telegraph Failure
Inform to the duty in E/R and C/E, and then switch to Engine Room Control
Inform to the Master
Establish Emergency Communication with E/R
E/R to be in Manned condition
If unable rectify, to advise to the office for arranging repair.
Entries to be made in the Deck Log Book should cover, but not be limited to the following information:-
Standard Meteorological data which must be carefully assessed
Record of Navigational and Pilotage events during watch
Record of Vessel Position at regular intervals
Behavior of Vessel and Effect of Heavy seas
Change from Hand to Auto steering and vice versa including Trial of Hand Steering every watch
Verification of Compass error also including mention if unobtainable.
Record of Inspections, Trainings and Emergency drills (preferably in Red pen)
Information on Cargo work and other activities in port
Visits by various Officials and Authorities
Stemming of Bunkers, Freshwater, Stores, etc
Search for Stowaways, Contraband and SSP related items
All other information considered pertinent to the watch
Navigational guideline for ships - use of bridge movement book
What is navigation in heavy weather ? ....
What is navigation in congested water ? ....
Passage planning guideline for navigation in confined water ....
What is navigation in restricted visibility ? ....
What are the steering gear check item ? ....
Other Info Pages
Home Our home page
Frequently asked questions from user Read our knowledgebase
Site Map Page listing for this site.
Copyright © 2009 Ships business.com All rights reserved.