Tanker Notes ||
Container Ship Operations ||
Ocean Navigation ||
Procedure for ships navigation in confined waters, related check item
Ships navigation in confined water involve many complexities and careful consideration will need to be made for safe passage through an area of confined water
Ship master should also bear in mind the procedures explained here are only indicative, not exhaustive in nature and one must always be guided by practices of good seamanship. Also specific ship will have her own characteristics .
Confined water check item
1. Are large scale chart in use for such area?
2. Have charts and nautical publications been corrected upto date including T & P notices?
3. Has information on local navigational warnings and notices been checked?
4. Has the vessels draft been calculated exactly?
5. Have the tides and tidal current been calculated properly and confirmed?
6. Is the under keel clearance being maintained considering the following factors?
7. Effect of tides
8. Effect of squat and a change of trim in shallow waters
9. Effect of swell and where applicable sandwaves
10. Changes of draft and trim due to the specific gravity of sea water
11. List of the vessel caused by steering
12. Is the engine ready for operation anytime?
13. Has the auxiliary generator been started?
14. Have helmsman been put in position for manual steering to be ready anytime?
15. Are additional power units for the steering gear running?
16. Have operation of compasses and other navigational instruments been confirmed?
17. Are the radar and ARPA operating normally?
18. Is VHF listening watch maintained on Ch16 and a proper channel stipulated by local rules?
19. Has the method of notice to VTS designated by regulations been confirmed?
20. Has maneuvering ability of own vessel including turning radius been grasped?
21. Is the ship's position fixing method & frequency established?
What is confined water ?How to make Passage planning in confined waters
What is congested water ?
Action of officer of the watch in congested waters
Safety of navigation for containership
What are the steering gear check item ?
How to avoid navigation in heavy weather ?
What are the conditions that should be reported to master while navigating ship ?
What are the safe navigational procedure for the officer of the watch ?
How to deal with engine or steering gear trouble
What is gyro failure and countermeasures
How to respond with engine trouble
How to deal with ships collision accident
Navigational watch trasfer check item
Other info pages !
Ships Charterparties Related terms & guideline
Stevedores injury How to prevent injury onboard
Environmental issues How to prevent marine pollution
Cargo & Ballast Handling Safety Guideline
Reefer cargo handling Troubleshoot and countermeasures
DG cargo handling Procedures & Guidelines
Safety in engine room Standard procedures
Questions from user and feedback Read our knowledgebase
ShipsBusiness.com is merely an informational site about various aspects of ships operation,maintenance procedure,
prevention of pollution and many safety guideline. The procedures explained here are only indicative,
not exhaustive in nature and one must always be guided by practices of good seamanship.
User feedback is
important to update our database. For any comment or suggestions please Contact us
//Home //Terms and conditions of use
Copyright © 2015 www.shipsbusiness.com All rights reserved.